Forums » CentiLeo for 3ds Max
Pages: 1
CentiLeo for 3ds Max 0.530 available (corrected and accelerated SSS, GGX, faster glass, improved GI Clamp)

Administrator  Posts: 895
Nov 20, 2017 19:31
Hello everyone!

Available CentiLeo 0.53 for 3ds Max 2014-2018!
We have updated CentiLeo material system completely. The GUI and settings remain the same but the models of reflections, refractions, SSS, absorptions have all been updated to improve the quality and paramter response.
E.g. SSS have become correct and 10x faster (not a big deal because it was very slow before). But now it looks like diffuse if subsurdace scatter radius = 0 and shows logical behavior when increase the radiuses and combine the channels.
We have also intelligently killed the fireflies that could be seen through several glossy-glossy surface reflections using much smarter new GI Clamp algorithm.

Download link: http://centileo.com/forum/forum13/137-download-link-centileo-for-3ds-max-v0530-alpha

Change Log: cntlmax 0.530 alpha (2017 November 20)
[core] Subsurface Scattering is correct now and has 10x faster noise reduction due to improved maths. The speed of SSS is close to diffuse. Same as before it is based on 3 layers.
[core] GGX anisotropic reflections and refractions. Better looking highlights and fast. Some old scenes with rough reflections may seem to render slower 5-10%, but this is due to different look and changed highlights, the speed isn’t really degraded.
[core] Faster (less noisy) rough glass and shadows under rough glass due to better maths.
[core] Fixed Absorption parameters. They now affect transmissive and translucent objects and also their shadows.
[core] Improved quality of GI Clamp params. They now preserve glossy highlights better and kill the hotspots a lot smarter while keeping the highlights. Default GI Clamp values of 10 are very good if final post production image exposure is 0.
[core] Added “Expected Exposure” parameter that should be similar to the post production planned exposure. This is useful in cases when the lighting is very low in the scene and then user compensates it increasing the post exposure. In this case to make GI Clamp params and noise detector more efficient just set Expected Exposure similar to Post Exposure (+-1). Efficiently tuned GI Clamp and Noise detector may accelerate image rendering.

Known issues to be solved
- May not initialize if AMD GPU is in your computer together with NVIDIA GPU.
- Very limited scene converter tool from other renderers (only diffuse property and textures from Standard material and Vray material)
- UVW mapping change of parameters may not be accounted by IPR scene auto update mode. To be solved.

Important note
We are currently using JUCE library (https://juce.com/) for IPR GUI under Personal license (which is free) for initial testing purpose. In IPR window it will show in the right bottom corner a splash screen for the first start and it dissapears in few sec. It may also connect to Google Analytics to collect end-user stats. Juce guys claim this is nothing bad but stats collection so they know who is using them. However, the plugin works perfectly without any Internet connection.
If everything works well on main technical side then we will buy the full license of JUCE and get rid of these small issues.

GPU Drivers
Please, install modern NVIDIA display drivers. E.g. at least 372.70 or one of the newest.

Adjust GPU Rendering Low-priority settings
Can be found in CentiLeo Renderer Settings -> Hardware Settings.
Low-priority flags are ON by default in IPR mode for ALL GPUs. For fluent work in IPR mode it’s HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to keep enabled “low-priority” setting for DISPLAY GPU and switch if OFF for other render GPUs which are not connected to the monitor. Low-priority option is useful for display GPU because it is used to display the elements and models of 3D Viewport and OS.
If you have many GPUs in one computer then Display GPU can be excluded from IPR render to have less competition between Viewport and CentiLeo for Display GPU, this can improve the system feedback overall.

Pls, make the tests and send us feedback!
Kirgman
CentiLeo Chat: https://t.me/centileochat

There is some bug going on when I try to use Max compound object: scatter. When I set the distribution object to instance and check "hide distribution object" the distribution object hides but also the original, so only the distributed object is rendered.
I know this is alpha but thought I should let you know..

Best
Daniel

Dec 1, 2017 03:59
Hi Daniel, thanks for reporting about it! Will try to fix it. Don't hesitate to report about any problems in the renderer.
Btw, there will be release (something around 0.61) dedicated to scatters. At least would like to connect with MultiScatter and ForestPack and maybe do something else with that

MultiScatter is so welcome!

//Daniel

When will we see the next update?

//Daniel

Dec 12, 2017 13:09
Hi Daniel, it seems in about few days. Trying to make it before weekend. It will contain a bit more than planned, e.g. quite some time was spent on bump mapping artifact elimination for low poly things, also glass+liquid was a challenging and nice task

:) Locking forward to it

//D

Dec 18, 2017 06:35
Daniel Westlund wrote:
Locking forward to it

//D
All the weekend continued development, and can upload new release just now :)
I have looked just today at the bug with Max compound object scatter. It happend because 3ds Max API function GetInstances returns not only instances but also references which can evaluate to different geometry actually. Will need to fix it with more attention not to break IPR geometry/instancing accounting, needs experiments because 3ds Max API/forums don't always have needed info. So, now will release new build with this bug and later fix it.
Pages: 1