Forums » CentiLeo for Cinema 4D
Pages: Prev. 1 2
CentiLeo lights, how do they work? I cannot make them more intense
Lights not able to brighten in IPR

That's one reason why having custom light objects would be better than using the C4D lights. It's too confusing.

Filip Stamate wrote:
That's one reason why having custom light objects would be better than using the C4D lights. It's too confusing.
I noticed you had used area shadows in your light object, but you didn't use Global Illumination. But when I tried adding GI to the render it didn't really affect the lighting at all in that scene you shared.

You mean GI from the "Effect" list in the render settings?
That's a C4D option, it does nothing for CentiLeo. CentiLeo does its own GI.

I don't think any of those effects would do anything. They don't anything for other 3rd party engines either, they're just for the C4D built-in engine.

And for lights, be sure to create them from the CentiLeo menu so they get the tag added to them. Don't just create regular C4D lights.

And I think only the type of light and intensity have any effect in CentiLeo. Even for the type of light, not all are supported.
Edited: Filip Stamate - Feb 21, 2022 16:03

Filip Stamate wrote:
You mean GI from the "Effect" list in the render settings?
That's a C4D option, it does nothing for CentiLeo. CentiLeo does its own GI.

I don't think any of those effects would do anything. They don't anything for other 3rd party engines either, they're just for the C4D built-in engine.

And for lights, be sure to create them from the CentiLeo menu so they get the tag added to them. Don't just create regular C4D lights.

And I think only the type of light and intensity have any effect in CentiLeo. Even for the type of light, not all are supported.
When I enabled global illumination in my render settings effect it did have an impact on the shadow of my sphere.
It is very subtle and might not show if you don't look at those images side by side.
Edited: ssjenforcer - Feb 21, 2022 16:31

Yeah, I can see something, but there really shouldn't be. I don't know what's going on.

That subtle change is not really GI. Do you have that difference when using the IPR too? I'm thinking C4D might just do something on top of the CentiLeo rendered image when you render to the picture viewer.

If you want to see CentiLeo without GI set the "Clamp Indirect" to 0.
Edited: Filip Stamate - Feb 21, 2022 17:21

Administrator  Posts: 895
Feb 22, 2022 05:08
ssjenforcer wrote:
Do I need to touch the shadow setting under the light objects?
I learned that shadow is default set to none, but does centileo have a shadow setting already that is accurate, or is it better to change it to area?

Also, is it more accurate to turn on Global Illumination for this renderer?

I notice subtle differences with different shadow settings and GI, but I don't know if they are necessary with Centileo.

I notice now that GI Illumination is checked by default for the light objects, but GI in render settings enabled gives me a different lighting beneath the objects.

To me it looks best with GI enabled in render settings and Area set for shadow. Is this correct?
All the custome settings of the Cinema native light source are not supported except of coordinates, light intensity, color, light type and all the other settings are in CentiLeo light tag.
The images in CentiLeo IPR and PV should be the same until you make some changes in few settings:
1) "Enable Filter" in Cinema 4D Picture Viewer
2) Send RAW AOVs to Picture Viewer (gamma = 1) in CentiLeo render settings (AOVs/passes tab)

Have a look into this message and other messages later in the same thread
https://centileo.com/forum/messages/forum19/message1567/83-centileo-for-cinema-4d-044-available#mess...
CentiLeo Chat: https://t.me/centileochat

Feb 22, 2022 05:19
Filip Stamate wrote:

Filip, you have found it right. I can add that not all light types from C4D are supported, the only supported light types are:
1) Omni. It's a point light source. And in CentiLeo light tag a shape radius can be changed to make a sphere from it. Normalise intensity option in the tag can fix the intensity while you change the shape size.
2) Spot light. It supports only the spread angle from C4D settings and CentiLeo light tag options of course.
3) Infinite light (same as parallel/directional) + Centileo tag
4) Area light source (with Rectangle shape) + Centileo tag
5) The light portal to accelerate GI coming to the room through the windows. To enable it just create Area Rectangle light type and check "Is Portal" option in CentiLeo light tag. It accelerates the lighting noise reduction for Sky + Environment tag (HDRI) and for Infinite lights too.
6) The other shapes of lights can be created using any other C4D geometry object, even with displacement coming from CentiLeo material. But you have to apply CentiLeo Emission material to it, it's having more and more settings as CentiLeo light tag.

Filip Stamate wrote:
Sure I think about this but need to prioritize other things at the moment. After certain technology stage is reached (soon!) there will be a lot of dedicated work to improve user experience related to C4D integration

Make sure to have youe CentiLeo Light source have the centileo light source tag. Furthermore, you can edit the overall multiplier and the gamma settings to change the level of light.

Mar 6, 2022 14:01
Leo Allan wrote:
Make sure to have youe CentiLeo Light source have the centileo light source tag. Furthermore, you can edit the overall multiplier and the gamma settings to change the level of light.
Exactly, however these tags are added automatically if the light source is created using CentiLeo menu available at the top line of C4D menu.

Are area light shapes supposed to work or is that coming later?

I tried making them into other shapes and it doesn't seem to have any change in the IPR.

EDIT:
I found the answer in a previous reply.
Only rectangle for now.
Edited: ssjenforcer - Apr 30, 2022 05:58

Apr 30, 2022 13:03
Yes, it's true finding. Actually this is very easy to do, but I was lazy in this part of work :) However it's possible to do all these shapes using any shape of regular object and applying an emissive material for it.

Kirgman wrote:
Yes, it's true finding. Actually this is very easy to do, but I was lazy in this part of work However it's possible to do all these shapes using any shape of regular object and applying an emissive material for it.
ok. But that is for omni light effect really. I was trying to see how to better use area lights.
Or could that work by applying emission to a plane object, I suppose?

hopefully later there can also be area light blocking using texture maps? Like to get a window blind effect on a light source.
Edited: ssjenforcer - Apr 30, 2022 17:03

Apr 30, 2022 17:11
You can use any kind of Cinema 4D object of any complexity and apply emission material to it using any number of textures. There is "Importance sampling" option there and it's better to enable it when the lighting effect is global for the scene, i.e. it illuminates quite a lot. Or disable this option when the illumination is local and not influencing other objects too much.

I'm testing out a technique I had heard about where you create darkness in a certain area by adding a light object with negative values, so instead of adding light it removes it instead.
It shows it working in my viewport but not in the IPR.
Is this possible? I can get the same effect for now with a flag object to block the light, but I was hoping this would work somehow.
Pages: Prev. 1 2