Forums » CentiLeo for 3ds Max
Pages: 1
CentiLeo for 3ds Max 0.500 available (nice bug fixes)

Administrator  Posts: 895
Jul 19, 2017 10:21
Hi everyone,

CentiLeo 0.50 for 3ds Max 2014-2017 is ready! It has a lot of important bugfixes for refractions, diffuse interreflections, etc. Some things like new IPR GUI took a really a lot of time due to fixing new bugs related to it. But this was solved. Hope to add more graphics features to CentiLeo asap.

Download here: http://centileo.com/forum/forum13/124-download-link-centileo-for-3ds-max-v0500-alpha

Change Log: cntlmax 0.500 alpha (2017 July 19)

[IPR] Changed GUI engine for IPR mode to JUCE library (www.juce.com). All IPR controls like image resolution and post settings go to the IPR window. It opens the IPR window faster, process images faster and is very cool. Later will add DOF, light pass settings and more cool things there too.
[core] Fixed wrong glass refraction patterns. It is also accelerated a bit for many multiple internal glass reflections.
[core] Improved the look of shadow from the glass objects.
[core] Improved rough glass render speed and look.
[core] Fixed loss of light energy for diffuse interreflections.
[core] Faster render for HDR lighting with very bright high-contrast spots (thanks to a bugfix).
[core] Fixed problem when display GPU participates in multi-GPU rendering. Before fixing this the display GPU could even deaccelerate collective rendering. Right now display GPU accelerates the multi-GPU render (however remember that display GPU also shares resources with native C4D viewport).
[core] Reduced peak RAM memory consumption when scene with huge meshes is loaded. Just valid and useful data takes place but temporary data doesn’t consume huge memory like before. E.g. for 50M poly meshes it is reduced by ~10GB.
[core] Out-of-core texture cache doesn’t consume all maximum capacity upfront. Now it saturates the cache on demand (when you add textures until the limit that you set in max OOC texture cache setting). It results in minimum RAM consumption (2GB) for blank scene (lower than before).
[cntlmax] Fixed window crashing error when you have opened Corona render IPR before CentiLeo.
[cntlmax] Fixed crash when change animation time and cntlLight (or cntlUber) was present in the scene.
[cntlmax] Fixed zoom scale of viewport light source representation. Light source names are off by default (may be switched on in LS settings).
[cntlmax] Fixed RAM memory consumption when IPR is open for several hours.

Known issues to be solved
- Displacement mapping feature is deactivated due to large code changes overall. This feature will be recovered within the next few short CentiLeo updates.
- May not initialize if AMD GPU is in your computer together with NVIDIA GPU.
- Very limited scene converter tool from other renderers (only diffuse property and textures from Standard material and Vray material)
- UVW mapping change of parameters may not be accounted by IPR scene auto update mode. To be solved.

Important note
We are currently using JUCE library (https://juce.com/) for IPR GUI under Personal license (which is free) for initial testing purpose. In IPR window it will show in the right bottom corner a splash screen for the first start and it dissapears in few sec. It may also connect to Google Analytics to collect end-user stats. Juce guys claim this is nothing bad but stats collection so they know who is using them. However, the plugin works perfectly without any Internet connection.
If everything works well on main technical side then we will buy the full license of JUCE and get rid of these small issues.

Please test it and give us feedback to discover further improvements!

Best regards,
Kirgman
CentiLeo Chat: https://t.me/centileochat

Very nice. Sometimes Max stops responding after ipr or material window closing. Have to force-close app.

Jul 20, 2017 12:04
Sergej Mostnar wrote:
Very nice. Sometimes Max stops responding after ipr or material window closing. Have to force-close app.
Hi Sergej, thanks for telling about this.

Pls, can you describe this case? What GPU (or several), what kind of scene and the actions you did before it stopped responding.
I had some crash on my computer with 2GB GPU (750ti) which reported just 1GB remaining for renderer after OS and viewport consumed their GPU resources. This remaining 1GB is quite small for renderer (it can work but not as efficient as with 4GB+). How much memory available for GPU can be seen in Harware Settings of CentiLeo for each listed GPU.

Do you close the whole 3ds Max or just IPR to make it alive again?

This is the first version with new IPR engine and need to find all these bugs.

S M
User  Posts: 4
Jul 20, 2017 16:51
Hi. I was testing on my old laptop with 650M. Sometimes it hangs when closing ipr. Have to restart app. Will try next week on my workstation.

how do you enable refractions in alpha chanel? Is there a way to make an object invisible in alpha?
sampling params are different now as in manual. What is the best approach to speed up rendering and to fight fireflies?

thnx!

S M
Jul 20, 2017 16:52
Simple scene, couple of teapots.

Jul 20, 2017 17:27
Ok, I see. I will try to double-check and polish some things to make better stability for new IPR implementation. Strange because in Max plugin it doesn't do anything serious when close the window.
Also will add GPU priorities to Hardware settings in attempt to improve IPR fluence when there is just 1 GPU in a system.

The manual is old enough. Need to upgrade it a lot. Will do it after some 0.55 version when will add more shaders there.
S M wrote:
sampling params are different now as in manual. What is the best approach to speed up rendering and to fight fireflies?
Min/Max iterations is like number of samples. Each complete iteration makes 64 samples per pixel for entire image. If the status bar shows partially complete iteration then it means the current pass over image is partially done. The first iteration (from 0 to 1) is progressive for navigation purposes only during interactive work with the scene. The other iterations are much more clever and are tuned for less noise and final quality, hi-res.
When the sampler reaches Min number of iterations and desired "Noise level" for pixel then it stops rendering it and contiunes processing only pixels which have more noise then specified in "Noise level".
But if pixel sampling has reached Max iterations then it stops regardless of noise value for pixel.

Redshift, Corona, Fstorm all have similar settings. Octane too (but they have slightly more settings).
Our noise level internal estimation is conservative. At value 0.01 it doesn't give chance for noise where e.g. Redshift stops at 0.01. This is good for quite dark shadow areas.

The other optimization settings are as usual: number of all ray bounces (and max number of diffuse only bounces which can be lower than overall num of bounces). Diffuse bounce is a ray bounce off surface with roughness higher than 0.1.

We also have clamp values
1) for direct lighting,
2) specular direct lighting (everything reflected from perfect mirror or glass with roughness less than 0.1),
3) and clamp for indirect light.
The last 2 may give fireflies in some cases. Try reduce them and see.

What kind of scene you have fireflies?

S M
Jul 21, 2017 03:47
Thanks! What about alpha visibility? Objects with refraction are solid in alpha. Am I missing something?

Jul 21, 2017 11:42
S M wrote:
Thanks! What about alpha visibility? Objects with refraction are solid in alpha. Am I missing something?
This is not yet supported. Must do it. Partial alpha-channel output is currently working for shadow catcher shadows.

Hello, great work on debugging and optimizations !

I was wondering if it would be possible to rename the render pass "Reflection 1" and "Reflection 2", as they now are exported as "RenderName_.Beauty Reflection 10060.jpg" and "RenderName_.Beauty Reflection 20060.jpg" for example, and so are read as frame numer 10060 instead of 0060 in softwares like After Effect and such.

Thanks !
Best regards,
Thomas

Aug 1, 2017 11:26
Thomas DION wrote:

I was wondering if it would be possible to rename the render pass "Reflection 1" and "Reflection 2", as they now are exported as "RenderName_.Beauty Reflection 10060.jpg" and "RenderName_.Beauty Reflection 20060.jpg" for example, and so are read as frame numer 10060 instead of 0060 in softwares like After Effect and such.

Thanks !
Best regards,
Thomas
Hi Thomas, of course you are right! Will fix that. Next version should be out in few days.

Hi, is there a max 2018 in the works?

//Daniel

Aug 10, 2017 13:01
Hi Daniel, yes of course.
0.51 will come in around 2 days but with no 2018 Max. Hope to do it in 0.52 release

Kirgman wrote:
Thomas DION wrote:

Thanks !
Best regards,
Thomas
Hi Thomas, of course you are right! Will fix that. Next version should be out in few days.
Thanks ! Keep up the good work :)

I have to use the spinners to to adjust the ipr size. If I try to type it in, it behaves strange as if the number pad don´t work

//Daniel

Aug 14, 2017 05:44
Hi Daniel, I know the problem with keyboard input (it happens in plugin for Max, and not in plugin for Cinema).
Currently we are finishing 0.51 for Max. Almost done. Later probably with small update will fix that problem.
Pages: 1