Forums » CentiLeo for Cinema 4D
Pages: 1
Centileo nodes, can we mix textures?

I'm a little lost with nodes.
How do we combine multiple textures (layer/mix) to add onto materials? I want to combine surface imperfections, but is there a way to do it within the node editor?
I can't find anything with a name that sounds like something I could use, and there is no 'add' or 'multiply' node like with octane.

I tried to use two separate bitmap nodes but I can't figure out how to combine them.

EDIT:
I tried using the layer node, but for some reason only one of my surface imperfection textures works.
Any other one I try doesn't work or show up as a layer.
Edited: ssjenforcer - Feb 8, 2022 23:54

Administrator  Posts: 896
Feb 8, 2022 23:40
We have more than Octane in this department:
1) There is a Layer texture node. It accepts 7 input nodes that are stacked onto each other and you can integrate each input texture on top of each other with many layer options like in Photoshop. Just check it. It's a nice way to combine imperfections, noises, bitmaps with this.
2) As for Add/Multiply they are also there. CentiLeo has Math node which supports the basic math operations with input textures. It's just placed in a different category of nodes: not a Node Generator, but Math
CentiLeo Chat: https://t.me/centileochat

Kirgman wrote:
1) There is a Layer texture node. It accepts 7 input nodes that are stacked onto each other and you can integrate each input texture on top of each other with many layer options like in Photoshop. Just check it. It's a nice way to combine imperfections, noises, bitmaps with this.
2) As for Add/Multiply they are also there. CentiLeo has Math node which supports the basic math operations with input textures. It's just placed in a different category of nodes: not a Node Generator, but Math
Ok, thank you.
I was having trouble because some of the surface imperfection alpha textures I was using were not giving me any results when used as the second layer.
But after trying a few others they work.
I'm not sure why some weren't working. They are just alphas with black and white.

And is roughness the best place to map an alpha to get a surface imperfection?
It looks ok to me, but I can only get it to work so far with regular materials, not things like glass. The smudges don't show on glass.

EDIT:
ohhhhh, it works if I make it roughness on the transmission property, not the diffuse.
Edited: ssjenforcer - Feb 9, 2022 00:24

Feb 9, 2022 01:32
I would advice to make a multi-material or mix material to make the smudges on top of glass car window.
For example the Mix Material:
1) Primary material would be a diffuse material with smudges and sand textures
2) Secondary material would be a glass of window with reflections and IOR and all the staff as for clean glass
3) Primary material amount - is the alpha map texture with white regions encoding places where smudges should appear on the window. Primary material is on top of Secondary.
These layers of mixed materials will just help to resolve the Alpha channel of individual materials easilly and no need to deal with roughness of transmission which is wrong in this case

Feb 9, 2022 01:35
ssjenforcer wrote:
I tried using the layer node, but for some reason only one of my surface imperfection textures works.
This Layer node has on/off toggles for each other layer, probably you forget them. Also each layer mix mode is different. They are all standart, but need to test to understand how they work for specific case

Kirgman wrote:
ssjenforcer wrote:
This Layer node has on/off toggles for each other layer, probably you forget them. Also each layer mix mode is different. They are all standart, but need to test to understand how they work for specific case
Thank you, I will try.
I am watching tutorials and I think I understand a bit more now.
I got this to work as a test for using dirt node.

Feb 9, 2022 02:45
Oh btw this Dirt node is currently just not working as expected. I have to fix it, it's like AO texture

Kirgman wrote:
Oh btw this Dirt node is currently just not working as expected. I have to fix it, it's like AO texture
Does the dirt node currently behave like AO?

I found this maxon tutorial (2min quick tip)
https://youtu.be/zSuhHlqabGA
and it describes how to use AO to create surface edge Imperfections. I wonder if I could use something from this to recreate the dirt node for now?

Oh, there is no equivalent to the luminance channel in centileo, so I don't know how it would work.
Edited: ssjenforcer - Feb 16, 2022 13:14

I am also trying to get car paint flakes.
I tries using a normal map I downloaded and connecting the bitmap node to the normal for the material, but it didn't look quite right.
The edges have a smeared look for the flakes.

But when I tried a simple flake node and attached that to the material node bump channel it looked much better.
is there more to it than that?
Edited: ssjenforcer - Feb 13, 2022 01:12

Kirgman wrote:
I got this with my glass.

I tried also doing the same thing with imperfections mapped to the roughness, but it looked too much like dirt and not like just smudges on glass.
Most of the imperfection tutorials I see only use textures mapped to reflection roughness and bump nodes. It looks right for most surfaces I try so far but not glass.
And I learned after much confusion that for most surfaces I had to use the UVW Projection node for imperfections to work at all.

My car paint looks ok, but I think it could be better. Is there something I could do to improve it? I'm not quite sure how to get the flakes and reflection to look better without layering two materials, with the top one having the flake node.
Edited: ssjenforcer - Feb 15, 2022 22:25

Feb 22, 2022 06:41
ssjenforcer wrote:
My car paint looks ok, but I think it could be better. Is there something I could do to improve it? I'm not quite sure how to get the flakes and reflection to look better without layering two materials, with the top one having the flake node.
The Flakes shader node can be connected to the Bump map slot and sometimes it can be connected to color slots of Reflection.
For example for Bump map it's straightforward just connect it. You may have 2 reflections enabled for you material:
1) the first reflection is coating it has roughness zero and IOR say 1.5. You also switch off "Reflecion 1" in the Bump map settings to make clear coating for Reflection 1!
2) The second reflection is rough, it has roughness say 0.3 and IOR 4.0. If you connect the Flakes node with the same settings as for Bump but with output type set "Flake IDs" connected to Gradient/Ramp node (Input Map slot) and connected to Reflection 2 Color then you can get colored flakes! :)
Using multi materials the flakes can become a lot more complex. The Falloff node with Fresnel type using IOR can be used to determine the amount of materials in the layered material container.
Also the Layer node can be used to add multiple flakes with different scales to each other and use a combination of them but I think that layered materials are more powerful for this task
Pages: 1