Forums » CentiLeo for Cinema 4D
Pages: 1
The speed of the new version is significantly improved

I tried to compare it with the previous centileo0.664 rendering. Of course, it's easier to compare. I just used one of my previous project files as a reference for comparison. With the new 0.65 render, I can see a huge improvement in rendering speed. My graphics card is an antique gtx1060 6g, with two Xeon E5 CPUs, but during the rendering process, I also found a problem, that is, when rendering in version 0.664, because it is a dual CPU, it repeats during the calculation A CPU process appears. Switching phenomenon, the first CPU works for 10 seconds, then switches to the second CPU, causing the rendering speed to drop. The new version does not have this problem, but the new problem is that only one CPU can be used for calculations, therefore, a computer with multiple CPUs will not be able to work at full capacity. If it can support multiple CPUs and perform multi-threaded calculations, the effect will be improved more significantly.
Edited: coooooolin - Nov 24, 2022 00:45

Administrator  Posts: 895
Nov 24, 2022 09:25
Hi coooooolin, thank you! Actually the biggest speedup is on more recent GPUs such as RTX 3070 or 3080. For GTX 10xx it's more modest but still is nice as you see.
The CPU power (and dual CPU) is not exploited in CentiLeo rendering part, because we still have room for improvement on GPU.
CentiLeo Chat: https://t.me/centileochat

Speed increase is great but it seems to be very unstable. I can consistently get it to lock up in C4D 26. For example, simple scene, just environment with HDRI, and cube and activating "Fillet" on the cube while having auto scene update activated. The IPR doesn't update when I do that and if try to do a manual update C4D locks up completely and I have to force close it.

Nov 24, 2022 18:53
Yes, I am working to fix this crash at the moment, it's reproduced already. Hope to fix it asap.

Awesome, thanks!

Dirt node is still not fixed, correct?

Nov 24, 2022 22:44
The issue with crash is fixed. Btw it happened when small enough object is used, e.g. a plane or cube. Just need to re-download and re-install the plugin.
Filip Stamate wrote:
Not yet :(

Please ask a question, the node editor in version 0.65 of CentiLeoforC4D2023 behaves abnormally, the line pulled out of the left-click property of the node does not show labels such as material or color, only 4 default properties, is this the reason for the C4D setting? This problem is not present in R25, and when 0.64 was tried, it was also present in R26
1.jpg (472.74 Kb)

Kirgman wrote:
The issue with crash is fixed. Btw it happened when small enough object is used, e.g. a plane or cube. Just need to re-download and re-install the plugin.
Filip Stamate wrote:
Not yet
should I get the update too? Was this an issue with 2023 as well or just s26?

Nov 25, 2022 17:54
coooooolin wrote:
Please ask a question, the node editor in version 0.65 of CentiLeoforC4D2023 behaves abnormally, the line pulled out of the left-click property of the node does not show labels such as material or color, only 4 default properties, is this the reason for the C4D setting? This problem is not present in R25, and when 0.64 was tried, it was also present in R26
I will look into the problem. I usuall click "+" button at the top left corner of node window to choose the node. Maxon developers continue doing changes to node editor API and something could change on their end.

ssjenforcer wrote:
should I get the update too? Was this an issue with 2023 as well or just s26?
You can just re-download the package again to get update with the bugfix

Thank you for your answer, I tried to follow the way you said, click the "+" symbol in the material column to create a new material, but the new node material is still like this in the node editor, I think you are right, there may be interface changes caused by different c4d versions, at the same time, the "material" in the centiLeo menu of the point machine, the new material ball is the same as "+", if the material ball in node editor mode is not applicable, there is no problem
Kirgman wrote:
coooooolin wrote:
I will look into the problem. I usuall click "+" button at the top left corner of node window to choose the node. Maxon developers continue doing changes to node editor API and something could change on their end.

Nov 26, 2022 03:43
coooooolin wrote:
I have looked more precisely into the issue.
1) the feature is available in R25 and below for both CentiLeo and native standard C4D nodes.
2) the feature is not available in R26 for CentiLeo and also not for native, Maxon have simply changed their menus
3) btw CentLeo 0644 was not available for R26 :)

In fact when in R25 you click on the property and move and left-click and see this menu then you don't see all the nodes that can be connected. But in reality you can connect any node to color properties or single float properties such as roughness.

I don't know if it is an issue with c4d or centileo, but in 2023 some objects do not update in the ipr properly until I close it and open it again. I just noticed it when working with window plane objects I have cloth surface applied to, and the material is a transmission with roughness imperfection applied.
when I move the node from roughness to colour to see the effect and move it back the material changes to a solid white without transmission, and it stays like that until I reload the ipr.

Nov 28, 2022 16:32
It would be interesting to see an example. And I think if you click "reload scene" button in IPR you can make the same trick without re-openning the window.

Kirgman wrote:
It would be interesting to see an example. And I think if you click "reload scene" button in IPR you can make the same trick without re-openning the window.
I tried but even that wouldn't work.
it was very strange because some objects with the exact same material would change and some would not.
Edited: ssjenforcer - Nov 28, 2022 17:08

Nov 28, 2022 21:28
May you please send me a minimum example of the scene for investigating in 2023 c4d?

Kirgman wrote:
May you please send me a minimum example of the scene for investigating in 2023 c4d?
I couldn't make it happen again. Might have been a rare bug based on how I was modeling my object.

I am just learning how useful the distortion node is with the scratches node.
Very cool.

Nov 29, 2022 10:47
How much I hate the bugs that appear randomly, and not always... So hard to guess wtf with them :)
The bugs that are localized with a certain algorithm are like a gold. A developer finds them easilly and forget this.
In fact there were a lot of old bugs fixed during 0.65 development, especially that poping artifacts in very low subdivision scenes. The issue was so funny!
Btw, I have already fixes few other bugs (around 3) with emission materials and other things for the next release, that will be released quite soon.

ssjenforcer wrote:
I am just learning how useful the distortion node is with the scratches node.
Yes, the combination of UVW nodes can be used for powerfull texturing for sure, especially with the Noise shaders. And we support 20 UVW channels btw, so it's a GPU king of texturing at the moment.
Scathes shader I think will be modified. I personally miss the colored output from it where you can assign scratches with different grey levels to the Gradient and produce the scratches of different colors. E.g. it's don't nicely with the flakes shader

I also noticed that scratches now can have values increased above 1 for all values except the density. Very nice.
I guess that is new since s24.
I dont suppose there could be an extra setting to change scratch length value to make them shorther without having to scale the whole thing down?

is there a way to have a projection and transform nodes have locked scale for x y z to all be changed together instead of individually? Maybe a check box to enable?
I am usually changing all three to the same value.

it would also be nice if gradient could have a contrast setting so colour correction isn't always necessary as well.
Edited: ssjenforcer - Nov 30, 2022 21:52

my c4d 2023 locks up completely with ipr open and auto update on and I change multiple material's node properties too many times in a short time.

I was going from several material node editors quickly to change my bitmap gamma from 2.2 to 1.0 for my roughness node channels.
this caused my whole c4d to lockup even though task manager showed it was still responsive but nothing could be selected or changed or updated.
Edited: ssjenforcer - Dec 3, 2022 17:09
Pages: 1