Forums » CentiLeo for Cinema 4D
Pages: 1
Strange motion blur is making my objects partially invisible

For my scene I wanted to make it seem as though my space ship was flying through space. So I put the whole scene into a null and have it moving along the x axis, thinking that the HDRi of the starfield would appear as though the stars were moving backward as the ship 'flew' forward.
However, with motion blur enabled the interior becomes partially invisible. Is this a bug with motion blur?
My screenshots are of the first (zero) and second frames, and the motion blur doesn't take effect until the second frame, but you can see what it does.

Also, I was surprised to see that the stars don't appear to be moving past the windows in my scene like I thought.
Shouldn't they be?
I guess HDRi only sees movement if you rotate? If I want to see the stars moving past I guess I would need to have a plane object with stars bitmap moving past the windows?
Edited: ssjenforcer - Dec 5, 2022 17:07

Administrator  Posts: 895
Dec 5, 2022 18:29
As for objects that become partially invisible I think I should see a scene example. Can you send me for example a simple localized sample maybe with one or few scene objects? Maybe the speed of camera and Null object is not the same.
As for HDR with stars not moving you are right because this HDR mapping is directional, it doesn't depend on world space position. You can make a bitmap with a texture for emission material but check off the "importance sampling" however it's off by default
CentiLeo Chat: https://t.me/centileochat

Kirgman wrote:
As for objects that become partially invisible I think I should see a scene example. Can you send me for example a simple localized sample maybe with one or few scene objects? Maybe the speed of camera and Null object is not the same.
As for HDR with stars not moving you are right because this HDR mapping is directional, it doesn't depend on world space position. You can make a bitmap with a texture for emission material but check off the "importance sampling" however it's off by default
I'll upload a scene tomorrow. I have a render going.
I tried with the entire scene and all cameras put into the same null and the null position was keyframed to move.
It wasnt goijg that fast, either. Over several seconds it was set to move about 10 meters.

I was also using a stage object for the cameras.
I can try not using that and see if it change anything.

Kirgman wrote:
https://mega.nz/file/NMgGGC7D#aU1kCWXcNpgDNxkAMHPTLR52h79gkUzAA9ronQ_IA58

I find that the faster the whole scene moves the more motion blur and the more the edges become invisible, revealing the starfield HDRi background.

For another scene I am having a similar issue.
A camera attached to an object moving through space, and the interior is becoming invisible.

This is supposed to be looking into a space ship cockpit with chairs visible.
The entire thing is see-thru, and the window (which is clear glass) is somehow partially black around the edges.
*if I lower the shutter end value to 0.25 then the entire window is black. There is a light inside the ship that should allow for it to be visible.

It seems this bug occurs whenever the centileo camera is in motion.
I want to experiment with the settings, but can you explain briefly what the motion blur settings do in the render settings?
Is there a way to keyframe to have motion blur on and off at various frames in the scene?
Edited: ssjenforcer - Dec 12, 2022 22:23

Something isn't really working with the IPR as well with this camera.
The viewport and IPR image do not match at all.

If I turn off motion blur the issue is fixed entirely.

Is it possible there is a bug with the motion blur or is there something I am missing?
The camera is in a null which moves at the same speed as the ship inside the same null.
Edited: ssjenforcer - Dec 12, 2022 22:45

Dec 13, 2022 08:18
ssjenforcer wrote:
A camera attached to an object moving through space, and the interior is becoming invisible.
I think I have fixed the issue. Will upload the release quite soon. Currently working to add a denoiser.

Another case: moving camera and moving object with the same speed.
The issue will remain in IPR when the camera is updated realtime because during this realtime navigation the scene and the camera is not re-evaluated for each time step. Cinema may provide camera steps information when entire scene is evaluated for each time step and it's expensive for navigation purposes in IPR. So for this reasons only camera current time step position will update during IPR navigation, and this will add some object blur because the scene was read in time steps before, but the camera is updated later with view changes with just one time step.
However, your setup (moving camera + moving object) will work correctly in IPR if you lock the camera changes and reload the scene manually (it will refresh the scene and camera positions with steps). And it will work in Picture Viewer.
But need to upload the fixes into the new release.

Kirgman wrote:
ssjenforcer wrote:
I think I have fixed the issue. Will upload the release quite soon. Currently working to add a denoiser.

Another case: moving camera and moving object with the same speed.
The issue will remain in IPR when the camera is updated realtime because during this realtime navigation the scene and the camera is not re-evaluated for each time step. Cinema may provide camera steps information when entire scene is evaluated for each time step and it's expensive for navigation purposes in IPR. So for this reasons only camera current time step position will update during IPR navigation, and this will add some object blur because the scene was read in time steps before, but the camera is updated later with view changes with just one time step.
However, your setup (moving camera + moving object) will work correctly in IPR if you lock the camera changes and reload the scene manually (it will refresh the scene and camera positions with steps). And it will work in Picture Viewer.
But need to upload the fixes into the new release.
This is also strange, I don't even have motion blur enabled with this latest shot, but look at the artifacting of the HDRi starfield as the centileo camera focal length changes to zoom out.
I have never seen this before, but it occurs randomly at various frames throughout the zoom.

The camera isn't even moving for this one. Large portions of the HDRi seem to spontaneously change resolution or something.

What do you think can cause this?

EDIT:
I also notice this happens with motion blur enabled, and as far as I can tell it only happens if the camera is rotating to follow an object or changing its focal length.
It might also happen when the camera is moving without motion blur but I could not see it yet.

And the HDRi is 16K.
could that be the issue?
I could try the 8K version and see if that changes anything.
Edited: ssjenforcer - Dec 13, 2022 18:12

Dec 17, 2022 06:41
ssjenforcer wrote:
This is also strange, I don't even have motion blur enabled with this latest shot, but look at the artifacting of the HDRi starfield as the centileo camera focal length changes to zoom out.
I have never seen this before, but it occurs randomly at various frames throughout the zoom.

The camera isn't even moving for this one. Large portions of the HDRi seem to spontaneously change resolution or something.
Oh, yes I think I have found it on one of my tests. It's a diffrerent bug for out-of-core textures, also with 16K HDRI. Hope I can fix it
Pages: 1