Forums » CentiLeo for Cinema 4D
Pages: 1
CentiLeo for Cinema 4D 0.43 available

Administrator  Posts: 894
Oct 22, 2016 09:08
Hello everyone!

We have released CentiLeo for Cinema 4D 0.43.

Download link: http://centileo.com/forum/forum18/76-download-link-centileo-for-cinema-4d-v043-alpha

This long time we were working on performance, bugfixes, interface, stability and a couple of features. From now on we will divide the work better and release new versions with less delays.

This is a list of changes

[core] CUDA 8 support. NVIDIA Pascal GPUs should be supported.
[core] Reworked render algorithm. Now it is progressive/bucket which on the first render iteration shows the entire Beauty pass and for any subsequent render iteration it computes Beauty pass and all enabled AOVs in parallel using buckets.
[core] One render iteration (“Iter” in IPR) now means one render over entire image with guarantee that every pixel received several samples. Before 0.43 the single render iteration stochastically fired up to one million samples over entire image (and it could lead to significant noise for large resolution images). The new sampling layout of 0.43 which is automatic and adaptive leads to significant noise reduction.
[core] New AOVs: Environment, Reflection1, Reflection2, Base, Transmission, Emitters. Now up to 16 AOVs can be computed in one render process in parallel with negligible (<5%) compute overhead. All this works also in IPR mode same way.
[core] Alpha channel support added.
[core] 15% faster render iteration computation in general.
[core] 3x faster render convergence for image parts with materials with several enabled layers like: multi-material, reflections+diffuse, reflections+transmission, reflections+diffuse+SSS. For example: glass with reflections, glossy and carpaint implementations are rendered much faster.
[core] All layers of material (reflections, diffuse, transmission, SSS are combined based on weights that are relative to each other). So all the layers have equal rights inside material. Stack-based policy is removed.
[core] Faster render convergence for shadow regions (perceptually2x faster).
[core] Rendering large resolution images like 4K or 10K is 30-50% faster.
[core] Render limitations are introduced for robustness. They are indicated in IPR window. For example, smallest GPUs with 1.5-2GB memory support 30-50M polygons and 100K mesh instances. GPUs with 3-4GB+ memory support 250-400M polygons and 1M mesh instances. These limitations will be further pushed forward.
[core] Bugfix: now render can work with at least 896MB of provided GPU memory by OS/driver. This low memory budget may be available on 1.5-2GB GPUs attached to display. Switching off other GPU applications may increase available memory for renderer.
[core] Bugfix: now environment map not blurred if seen through the glass.
[core] Bugfix: now absorption renders correctly.
[core] Bugfix: fixed rare overflow problems with complex shadows.

[IPR] IPR priority is introduced (see in render settings -> IPR). Larger priority increases render speed (samples/sec indicator) but can make GUI lags. Lower priority decreases render speed by 10-20% but makes work with GUI much smoother.
[IPR] Separate render resolution setting for IPR (see render settings -> IPR).
[IPR] Render region support.
[IPR] Render pause/resume.
[IPR] Render camera lock.
[IPR] Render enable/disable automatic scene updates.
[IPR] Full scene reload button.

[C4D plugin] Large usability rework of CentiLeo materials GUI. Now can unroll attached textures right in material editor. Now can reach the editor of selected texture from material editor in one click. Now can drag&drop textures among different material properties.
[C4D plugin] Can transfer all IPR currently rendered images (in HDR mode) to Picture Viewer (push the left-most button in IPR window).
[C4D plugin] Scene copying and reloading is avoided if IPR is already running and user clicks to Cinema 4D render to Picture Viewer or render to viewport or render region.
[C4D plugin] Bugfix: material preview renders even with running IPR.
[C4D plugin] Bugfix: various problems fixed when IPR and/or Picture Viewer render are enabled.
[C4D plugin] Bugfix: various problems fixed which forced IPR render resets when expression tags are available.
[C4D plugin] Bugfix: CentiLeo material preview renders even with running IPR.
[C4D plugin] Bugfix: right side material layer toggles now have effect on render and are animatable.

Known issues to be solved

- No yet multi-GPU
- Need texture/shader copy-paste (and copy-paste as instance) across different materials.
- Need to fix problems with texture paths using “preset…” using native Cinema 4D bitmap procedures.
- Sometimes GUI of IPR window may have old style controls.
- May not initialize if AMD GPU is in your computer together with NVIDIA GPU.
- Very limited scene converter tool from Cinema 4D native materials (only diffuse color and texture are converted and translated if assigned to the object)

Please, test it and say what you think! :)
CentiLeo team
CentiLeo Chat: https://t.me/centileochat

Oct 22, 2016 09:28
Some quick screenshot with new material GUI.

I found some issue in c4d ;

- debug console Always crashes
- in picture viewer if i stop the rendering and then render Again or do anything c4d crashes
- object Always visible
- Subdivision Surface in rendering mode does not work
- some issue in displacement (maybe i'm doing something wrong).

P.S. ; i'm working on pascal gpu
centileo.jpg (393.66 Kb)
Edited: Aimar NL_21 - Oct 23, 2016 13:44

Oct 23, 2016 14:14
Hello Aimar,

Thanks a lot for your test!
This is good news that it actually works on Pascal GPUs :)
We have converted everything to CUDA 8 but only have 7xx and 9xx GTXs.
Aimar NL_21 wrote:
debug console Always crashes
It should crash when you close debug console and IPR is running. Same thing? I know the reason and will solve it some time. If you have opened it then just don't close. Better to leave it as is or close C4D itself (it closes correctly).
Aimar NL_21 wrote:
- in picture viewer if i stop the rendering and then render Again or do anything c4d crashes
I can reproduce it. It has appeared probably few days ago. When I worked on this thing it was ok. Later it was broken.
Aimar NL_21 wrote:
- object Always visible
Yes, Object visibility settings were not yet implemented. Do you mean that few checkboxes in the object Basic properties? Will probably do it in a very basic mode for 0.44 and with more flexibility (with additional tag) for 0.45 or further version.
Aimar NL_21 wrote:
- Subdivision Surface in rendering mode does not work
I guess it displays in picture viewer rendering mode the subdivision level which corresponds to subdiv settings for Editor. Am I right?
This bug/feature was done to make cheap scene loads when IPR is already running and user want's to continue in Picture Viewer (so he can either move all AOVs to PV by clicking the top-left button in IPR or he can just start PV and continue there). This is very benificial for overlay render in C4D viewport or C4D region render (when IPR is running which has already loaded the scene previously).
Maybe it would be better to create an option with checkbox where user can determine to work as now or to work with full scene reload when PV is explicitly started. What do you think?
Aimar NL_21 wrote:
some issue in displacement (maybe i'm doing something wrong).
There is probably not enough tesselation iterations and I see 8-bit texture quantization. This will be fixed.
Actually, displacement mapping feature development is still in progress. There are still a couple of problems there: 1) currently slow initial tesselation stage (it can be reduced around 10x and become a few seconds), 2) it flickers in animation and 3) has gaps when smooth mesh normals diverge (on the corners).
However this approach is very prospective direaction because in final optimized state it will support vector displacements, solved gaps on mesh corners. And it is fast for rendering once tesselated. Tesselation process will be accelerated. Storing a few dozen million triangles is not be a problem.

Kirgman wrote:

Maybe it would be better to create an option with checkbox where user can determine to work as now or to work with full scene reload when PV is explicitly started. What do you think?
in IPR good idea (If I understand your point correctly) . In my opinion adding object tag (subdivision) like other render engine can be better option .

Oct 25, 2016 10:25
Aimar NL_21 wrote:
Kirgman wrote:

in IPR good idea (If I understand your point correctly) . In my opinion adding object tag (subdivision) like other render engine can be better option .
ok, will do a special object tag like in other engine and implement this visibility option from Cinema native property

Centileo have an option to link Cinema Camera properties like DOF and others properties to Centileo?a tag maybe?

sorry my poor english
Edited: Rodrigo Birtencourt Rodrigues - Oct 25, 2016 12:45

Oct 25, 2016 17:01
Rodrigo Birtencourt Rodrigues wrote:
Centileo have an option to link Cinema Camera properties like DOF and others properties to Centileo?a tag maybe?

sorry my poor english
Hello Rodrigo, welcome to our board! :) Your English is cool! Many people in US speak it worse.

No yet, there is no yet any specialized tag for each camera object to make different properties and then switch them easilly. It was asked before, we will do it soon (right now we are busy on shader/texture copy-past across different materials of document).

will be nice to have an option to this
Edited: Rodrigo Birtencourt Rodrigues - Oct 27, 2016 20:29

Oct 27, 2016 20:26
will be nice to have an option to it
This setting is saved when you click Apply and then Save the scene. And when reopen the scene the previously selected GPU is selected also.

yes, but... i have 4 nvidia cards... by default it is always in my main card... its not what I want... I have to change it in all documents... No way to have something more customizable in the C4D prefs?( its a suggestion, because if it run in my main card the system have a overload and no optimized performance in Centileo IPR so... main gpu to my viewport and my second gpu to centileo IPR. it by default will be awesome!)
Edited: Rodrigo Birtencourt Rodrigues - Oct 30, 2016 17:36

Oct 31, 2016 08:58
yes, but... i have 4 nvidia cards... by default it is always in my main card... its not what I want... I have to change it in all documents... No way to have something more customizable in the C4D prefs?( its a suggestion, because if it run in my main card the system have a overload and no optimized performance in Centileo IPR so... main gpu to my viewport and my second gpu to centileo IPR. it by default will be awesome!)
Ok, I got it. If there are secondary GPUs of the power not less than the main one then they should be selected by default.

We are preparing the multi-GPU feature. It will be ready in a couple of new versions.

Have you noticed that when the main (display) GPU has larger allocated cache (for geometry/textures) then IPR may slow down. When main GPU has lower allocated memory it may run faster. With secondary GPUs it's all much better. Sometimes 3-4x better.

another suggestion to have a clean IPR:
Capturar.PNG (607.43 Kb)

Oct 31, 2016 21:39
This is done. Once I will finish with copy-paste of shaders (also copy as instance) across several materials then will commit 0.44 here.
Pages: 1