Forums » CentiLeo for Cinema 4D
Pages: Prev. 1 2 3 4 Next
Texture issues
Texture not rendering correctly

Administrator  Posts: 896
Feb 7, 2022 07:22
thrimanakatha, in CentiLeo refraction works the same way as in any other renderer: same values, same behavior. Refraction is managed in Transmission tab of material. So you have to enable Transmission toggle in the list of material layers, by default this toggle is off and you may see it black because of this. IOR is working the same way as everywhere. For example to make the water, you can switch On Reflection1 and Transmission in the list of material layers, set IOR = 1.4 for both Reflection1 and Transmission layers, leave weight = 1 and colors white and make roughness = 0 for both reflection and refraction.
If the shape of your object is complex the refaction may produce some black regions on image and to fix it you need more ray bounces. By default there are 8 ray bounces, they can be changed in render settings.
Also one other reason why you don't see refraction may be very high value for Reflection1 IOR if you use it. Usually refraction and reflection are combined, just make some 1.4 or 1.5 or something like that IOR for both and test results
CentiLeo Chat: https://t.me/centileochat

@Kirgman,
It seems increasing the Ray bounce value to max 25 solves the issue.
In my previous render the bottom water layer has higher reflection value than the refraction. All other materials has same reflection/ refraction IOR but I didn't use pure white color, and added some roughness. In this test I removed all the roughness and used pure white color for refraction (for ice and bottom water used light blue color. Roughness added for the water tank only.
GTX 1660 card is used for rendering. Centileo in C4d 24 and RPR (prorender) in Blender 3. I tried to match all the materials as I can, then adjusted the lighting.
It seems doing a lot of trial and error Centileo can be matched to RPR. Previous renders were done with denoising on and this one without denoiser.

1920x1080
Both renders were run on 6min,
no denoiser, no dof, no motion blur

Centileo 2.25 iteration ray bounce 14

RPR 356 samples

More test renders with dof and denoiser

Centileo dof denoiser ray bounce 25

RPR with dof and denoiser

I really like the ice and water renders of RPR, any idea to push Centileo to do so?

Definitely Centileo can make good renders, waiting for Ambient occlusion, render pass, caustics, volumetrics etc.

And here is the renders with reflection on/off for the bottom water layer.

No reflection

with reflection

IOR value for refl and refr is 1.33, no roughness, blue tint for refraction color.

Feb 7, 2022 18:25
Actually I see some reftaction pattern similarities in CentiLeo and RPR. But the lighting direction and highlights are differernt! Even the blue paper cover around the bottle have different highlights for both engines. At first try to make the lighting exact everywhere. For example start with identical HDR or Area rectangle or Directional light sources for both engines.
Another thing is that you have the ice cubes and water droplets on the bottle. These objects overlap with other refractive surfaces: with the water around and with the bottle plastic object. I would recommend to set and test "Is Liquid" for water in the bottle and the water around.

Lighting and HDR are the same in both, however I found that in Blender the hdr is rotated to back (may be while exporting/importing fbx applied world transformation to the whole scene). Rotating the hdr to 180 solved the highlight mismatch. For further comparison I turned off the real lights and rendered the scene.

The bottle is made of double sided mesh with very thin thickness.
bottle water is solid geometry and is scaled down to 0.96 in x and z and 0.99 in y. To solve the intersection problem.
Droplets are hemisphere without any holes (I will remove the droplets and make another render soon!, may be the droplet placement has some issues, both renders shows strange result).
ice is a cube
water body is a cube with displaced top.
outer is a tank geometry with thickness

RPR render Blender

High contrast turned on in color management, view transform = standard

No color management, view transform = standard

Here is the render settings
ray depth = 16
Diffuse = 2
Glossy =8
Refraction =8
Glossy refraction =8
Shadow =4
Ray epsilon=0.02

Max samples=356
min samples=128

Centileo

iteration =2
raybounce =14

with post effect

without post effect

RPR seems to produce more lights/exposure than Centileo with same HDR. There is no exposure/ camera values changed in both renders. RPR may be shooting more rays?

with ray bounce =25 and post effects on

with c4d filter exposure=0.5

is liquid= on for water inside bottle, droplets, ice, water body, centileo exposure = 1
cl c4d exp 0.jpg (956.5 Kb)

Without droplets,

Centileo
iteration= 2 ray bounce 25, post effects on, exposure=1, denoise= off
is liquid = on for water, ice
(fixed wrong material on cap grip)

RPR, no change, denoise = off , no thin surface turned on,

Kirgman, now both renders are almost equal (forget about exposure) how to get the ice more transparent in the center? More ray bounce? I used 25.
I will do more test on other scenes, and post the result.

Feb 8, 2022 03:54
May you drop a scene to me to info@centileo.com for experiments with icecubes? With HDR texture, maybe using dropbox or google drive or some other filesharer.
Probably we can start with Transmission and/or Absorption = white and then start changing to get where it become different.
Also there seems to be the difference with gamma on rendered image or HDR itself. Or with expsure that you multiply for CentiLeo to get less dark, but still there is a difference.

Sure, I sent the scene but with a different bottle.
Icecubes, water and hdr is packed with c4d and blender scene.

Feb 8, 2022 09:26
Thank you for scene! Will check it and get back to you. Currently I don't have installed Blender, but will analyze the situation with the icecubes.
I would like to share some specific thing that can be relevant to this scene as well. Have a look at Maxwell Render documentation last figure:
https://nextlimitsupport.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/maxwell/pages/22684680/Nested+dielectrics I hope they don't mind :))
So looking at the last figure you may see that a good way of modeling the overlapping refractive objects like bottle glass and water object is to use the concept of nested dielectrics. According to this concept the water object borders (see red line on the figure) overlap the glass object. Both are refractive and have different IORs. To resolve this physically some renderers use the priorities but CentiLeo uses "Is Liquid" setting in Transmission Tab. Is Liquid should be set On for liquids like water in this case in case of overlap and it will help to make correct refractions.
The other nice thing is the ability to set IOR smaller than 1. In this case you can use not the overlap but model the bottle-water objects as one object with the borders between glass and water mediums. And on the interface (the surface) between both mediums the IOR of material should be relative IOR equal to IOR(glass) / IOR(water). This can take some computations, but it will result in another way of correct modelling. However the "Is Liquid" concept is simpler :D Sure I will describe all of this in a documentation with examples

Thanks Kirgman, the overlapping concept is there and I used it before,arnold use the same concept. It is helpful in glass objects(visible thickness) but for thin objects like pet bottles overlapping is tricky. If the bottle has complex shape (i always faced that) overlapping water surface inside the plastic bottle is not possible.
That is thin film is required. C4d doesn't have thin material, so I used minute extrution (micro meters!) For bottle towards inside. This will give thin film effect. Corona, rpr has this material so single sided bottle is good enough.
I have done several renders with double sided thin plastic and single sided thin materials before.
The render produced by Centileo for the bottle is good. I have no complaints there.
I am asking about the tank water and the ice cubes.
I dont have much technical knowledge, does Centileo calculate internal reflections? Like
https://docs.arnoldrenderer.com/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=40111252#content/view/40111216

Now a days I rarely use Maya and Arnold so can't remember much. Arnold is super slow in Maya and the same scene won't render in my pc.

Feb 8, 2022 12:29
Yes, CentiLeo renders internal reflections within the glass very efficiently. Less noise than other renderers. Keep in mind CentiLeo has Direct Light Clamp parameter in render settings, it's global, not per-material. This paramter has influence on the brightness of the highlights also for internal reflections.

Thanks, without a proper documentation it is hard to achieve the result in proper way. If the documentation take time, why go for 1minute quick video tips? Every week 1 or 2 videos will be enough.

Feb 9, 2022 01:27
Video tips are more time consuming to produce than text + images. So the documentation itselft will come first and next the videos, I will invite more people for that of course.
As for now, I am doing some complex technology improvements but the end for them is approaching fortunatelly :)

Feb 24, 2022 21:26
thrimanakatha wrote:
Sure, I sent the scene but with a different bottle.
Icecubes, water and hdr is packed with c4d and blender scene.
Hello! I have checked your file and have fixed few material settings that I think are right now. Have a look at my screenshots and material settings. It seems the ice looks nice now. I have fixed the colors: transmission color is white, but absorption is not white and distance is smaller, check it. Also the Clamp params of render settings are increased. Also the icecubes have "Is Liquid" setting Off. For some fun I have switched on the top light source. Sorry for long waiting for reply, I was extremly overloaded with new version development :)

Water material:

Ice material:

@Kirgman Thanks,
The ice and water look nice now. I never tried increasing the clamp values before.
Changing the IOR of ice to 1.5 and absorption color and distance seems to solve the issue. I have tried these settings before but was stuck at distance value and also with the default clamp light settings there wasn't much clear refraction happening on the middle ice cubes.

In prorender, there was refraction color added to the ice and tried the same color in Centileo before, it is rendering in different way. It seems like both renders handle things differently. I used the same material settings from Centileo (your settings) to RPR and the render is extremely different.

The post effects influence the scene very much, I did a couple of test.

Centileo with post effect (default)

Centileo post effect turned off

Centileo with custom post effect (override)

Did some adjustments on the same renders using c4d filter.

Centileo post effects default + c4d filter adjustments

Centileo post effects off+ c4d filter adjustment

Thanks a lot looking into the scene and providing the solution. It may take a while I shift my workflow into this amazing render. Waiting for the next update, have you finished yet?
Edited: thrimanakatha - Feb 25, 2022 02:36

Feb 25, 2022 21:25
Thanks for sharing the images! Btw, I like the look of the icecubes you did. However there is probably needed to improve the water droplets on the bottles, they are too spherical :)

Kirgman wrote:
Thanks for sharing the images! Btw, I like the look of the icecubes you did. However there is probably needed to improve the water droplets on the bottles, they are too spherical
this site called Noedle has great water dripping Alpha texture maps for free.
I wonder if using that in displacement would look good?

I was thinking maybe instead of a surface material the water drops could be cloned soft body spheres with random effector for size, that run down the surface of the bottle.
I did a test the other day with soft body balls and with only 14 segments and a Subdivision surface applied it ran smoothly. I just needed to keep the soft body tag attached to the sphere object. So with them cloned to the bottle surface as render instances (multi instance I believe doesn't allow for dynamics) it might render well.

Maybe subsurface scattering for the ice cubes if you wanted to make a frosted inside look to them.
I just watched a neat video showing how that can make glaciers look nicer.
Edited: ssjenforcer - Feb 25, 2022 22:40

Kirgman wrote:
Thanks for sharing the images! Btw, I like the look of the icecubes you did. However there is probably needed to improve the water droplets on the bottles, they are too spherical
yes, the water droplet need more works, this one is just a hemisphere. I have other scenes with properly modeled water droplets.

ssjenforcer wrote:
Kirgman wrote:

I was thinking maybe instead of a surface material the water drops could be cloned soft body spheres with random effector for size, that run down the surface of the bottle.
I did a test the other day with soft body balls and with only 14 segments and a Subdivision surface applied it ran smoothly. I just needed to keep the soft body tag attached to the sphere object. So with them cloned to the bottle surface as render instances (multi instance I believe doesn't allow for dynamics) it might render well.

Maybe subsurface scattering for the ice cubes if you wanted to make a frosted inside look to them.
Thanks for the site info, I will check.
Displacement may work good for simple geometry, may be for the above bottle. I have done several test with other renders using displacement map for similar scenes, but couldn't get the desired look. Too much jagginess and weird refractions with displacement.
The droplet is actually cloned hemisphere. I used it for simplicity. I have other scenes with properly modeled water droplets cloned on the bottle surface. I followed a tutorial long ago and created some dripping effect with thinking particles. Unfortunately I don't have access to those scenes now (my hard disk has some issues).
Here is the link to the tutorial https://lesterbanks.com/2013/01/creating-animated-water-drops-on-an-apple-using-thinking-particles-i...

Frosted look for ice cube is also done with other render, I used bubbles, cylinders inside the ice and applied different ior, for ice used some bump map and roughness in the refraction.
I never used sss with highly refractive scenes, too much to calculate. But with Centileo I may try.
Thanks for the tips.

thrimanakatha wrote:
ssjenforcer wrote:
Kirgman wrote:

Thanks for the site info, I will check.
Displacement may work good for simple geometry, may be for the above bottle. I have done several test with other renders using displacement map for similar scenes, but couldn't get the desired look. Too much jagginess and weird refractions with displacement.
The droplet is actually cloned hemisphere. I used it for simplicity. I have other scenes with properly modeled water droplets cloned on the bottle surface. I followed a tutorial long ago and created some dripping effect with thinking particles. Unfortunately I don't have access to those scenes now (my hard disk has some issues).
Here is the link to the tutorial https://lesterbanks.com/2013/01/creating-animated-water-drops-on-an-apple-using-thinking-particles-i...

Frosted look for ice cube is also done with other render, I used bubbles, cylinders inside the ice and applied different ior, for ice used some bump map and roughness in the refraction.
I never used sss with highly refractive scenes, too much to calculate. But with Centileo I may try.
Thanks for the tips.
for water drops could also try Jiggle deformer or melt deformer to get dripping shape.

but if you want to get something like these images you could find a way to combine streak Alpha with water droplets masked around to create much more condensation.
Maybe try to break up the larger drops with many smaller drops like real like examples.
Pages: Prev. 1 2 3 4 Next