Forums » Work in progress
Pages: Prev. 1 2
A couple of images and suggestions

Administrator  Posts: 895
Feb 23, 2022 08:11
They don't swap the surfaces. The Falloff node makes the choice of texture in use depending on the view angle.
However what you want to do can be achieved with Triplanar at some extent but with some more trivial blend function between the sides. You can rotate the Triplanar using connection with uvwProjection that has coords rotation parameters.
CentiLeo Chat: https://t.me/centileochat

Kirgman wrote:
They don't swap the surfaces. The Falloff node makes the choice of texture in use depending on the view angle.
However what you want to do can be achieved with Triplanar at some extent but with some more trivial blend function between the sides. You can rotate the Triplanar using connection with uvwProjection that has coords rotation parameters.
ok.
I guess the tutorial didn't explain that much detail about the textures changing based on angle.
I assumed they were stuck like that on each angled surface.
I guess it shouldn't matter much if the camera angle doesn't really change much.

also, is it correct to use a math node with add function to combine transform and projection nodes before connecting to a bitmap?
I find that usually works, but I had a very strange interaction with a certain material where it didn't work until I removed the transform and only used projection.

I suppose I could try connecting them to one another then to the bitmap?

Feb 23, 2022 12:12
ssjenforcer wrote:
also, is it correct to use a math node with add function to combine transform and projection nodes before connecting to a bitmap?
I find that usually works, but I had a very strange interaction with a certain material where it didn't work until I removed the transform and only used projection.

Combining them using Math.Add isn't right, because they will add to one another. Correct way is to make uvwProjection->uvwTrasform->Bitmap.
Each other port inside inside Projection/Transform can also be textured in some other custom way, for example to add variation to the tiling or offsets and etc.

Kirgman wrote:
ssjenforcer wrote:

Combining them using Math.Add isn't right, because they will add to one another. Correct way is to make uvwProjection->uvwTrasform->Bitmap.
Each other port inside inside Projection/Transform can also be textured in some other custom way, for example to add variation to the tiling or offsets and etc.
ok, I was just confused because octane bitmap has two inputs; one for each projection and transform.
your way makes sense now.

EDIT:
Before and after; looks much better now ;)
Edited: ssjenforcer - Feb 24, 2022 01:07

Feb 24, 2022 21:31
Oh very cool it works for you! I believe the texture uvw manipulation in CentiLeo is more powerfull than in Octane. However we need to add programmable shaders to make this statement more complete :)

It might not be a bug but it is a quality of life improvement if possible:
Creating a light object from centileo and changing the general and light tag settings then trying to 'set as default' does not apply the default setting to the centileo light object.
It does, however, set the C4D default light object to be created exactly in the same way, even giving it a centileo light tag. But this does not apply to my centileo light object icon in the palette.
I am just trying to make my default centileo light always to start with Area shadow and have the multiplier set higher.

So is there a way to make this default for centileo light object icon as well?
Also, maybe not a problem, but all of the centileo objects except the material icon are excluded from C4D undo using ctrl + z shortkeys. So if I create a centileo light or camera and try to undo it will not work.

Also, are there plans to make the C4D background and sky objects work, so that textures can be easily mapped for backgrounds?
Edited: ssjenforcer - Mar 14, 2022 00:24

Mar 17, 2022 16:02
Hi ssjenforcer, sorry for some long reply.
Actually I see you want to fine tune the defaul light intensity multiplier when creating the light object. Also the undo/redo not working for light sources. I will check how to fix that.
ssjenforcer wrote:
'set as default' does not apply the default setting to the centileo light object
Yes, this button works for the settings of the Cinema light source object only without considering the tags.
ssjenforcer wrote:
Also, are there plans to make the C4D background and sky objects work, so that textures can be easily mapped for backgrounds?
Do you want to apply materials to Sky object in way this is done in C4D? Currently it only works using CentiLeo environment tag - in the past I thought it was more convenient. Although there is still no Background object support. I think there will be some reconsiderations. Thanks for suggestion!

ssjenforcer wrote:
Do you want to apply materials to Sky object in way this is done in C4D? Currently it only works using CentiLeo environment tag - in the past I thought it was more convenient. Although there is still no Background object support. I think there will be some reconsiderations. Thanks for suggestion!
I thought the environment tag only supports hdri.
I tried it with the 8K star space image and it works, but the image gets stretched too much and doesn't look as good. This is why the background object would work better, right?

Also, were you able to reproduce the shadow catcher bug with Area and spot lights?
I assume there is still work to be done with light settings?
Edited: ssjenforcer - Mar 19, 2022 22:30

Mar 20, 2022 11:50
You are right, the Sky+Environment tag supports only spherical lattitude/longitude HDRI mapping, it doesn't support mapping to camera space like tha Background object. That would be easy to modify.
At the moment background mapping can be implemented using a workaround e.g. using a plane object with material with you background and this plane object is placed in front of camera and reacts to camera movements. I think it's possible to do this with scripts but some extra skills would needed. Anyway I have to do it in a simpler way :)
ssjenforcer wrote:
Also, were you able to reproduce the shadow catcher bug with Area and spot lights?
I have replied in that topic. Not a bug, but a specific detail of light shape. Actually I need to make light includes/excludes from illuminating the objects.

Kirgman wrote:
You are right, the Sky+Environment tag supports only spherical lattitude/longitude HDRI mapping, it doesn't support mapping to camera space like tha Background object. That would be easy to modify.
At the moment background mapping can be implemented using a workaround e.g. using a plane object with material with you background and this plane object is placed in front of camera and reacts to camera movements. I think it's possible to do this with scripts but some extra skills would needed. Anyway I have to do it in a simpler way
ssjenforcer wrote:
I have replied in that topic. Not a bug, but a specific detail of light shape. Actually I need to make light includes/excludes from illuminating the objects.
Yes I noticed the include/exclude wasn't working.
There is a workaround for creating a planet atmosphere I was trying to recreate using a spot light, but it wasn't giving me the right falloff. I think it was because the person used exclude to not light the other planet objects, because the spot light was placed at the center of the planet.
Pages: Prev. 1 2