Forums » Work in progress
Pages: 1
Fire fly render

Messing with Centileo,
Edited: thrimanakatha - Apr 12, 2022 09:41

Administrator  Posts: 756
Apr 12, 2022 13:57
Hi thrimanakatha,
Nice cup, thanks for sharing! At first reading just a topic title I was thinking you wanted to report about the fireflies as part of render noise. But that's artistic thing.
Btw, have you done your light sources as mesh lights with emissive material or just with omni lights and spherical shape?
In case of real geometry + emissive material you may test on/off for importance sampling to get better speed. I think in this case it would be faster with importance sampling = off.

Added additional light inside the jar. Random colors to the fire flies.
In case of real geometry + emissive material you may test on/off for importance sampling to get better speed. I think in this case it would be faster with importance sampling = off.
(The fire flies are actual spheres cloned with emission material applied. The importance sampling was off by default. I didn't even bothered to check that. After reading your comment I turned it on and rendered, there is increase in render time.)

Administrator  Posts: 756
Apr 12, 2022 18:14
Yes, the enabled improtance sampling will certainly increase the render time but in many cases, especially when the light source shape is very complex geometry and it is has global lighting influence on the scene then it would generate much less noise but with more costly render iterations.
Pages: 1