Forums » CentiLeo for Cinema 4D
Pages: 1
Decals/Labels
Adding images without repeating

Hi Kirill,
I've been doing a few more tests on adding labels to my models. A much easier way than using the Layer shader - at least for my uses - is to make a selection and add the Label material that way and using an alpha mask for any cutouts or curved corners etc. It's obviously not as flexible doing it this way, but it is more visual. The down side is, the selection has to be pretty much the same size and shape of the label otherwise it repeats to fill the unused space in the selection. Would it be possible to add an option - as in the C4d Texture Tag - to turn repeating the texture off? I took your advice and am now making use of the built in denoiser in C4d 23 which is indeed very fast and gives clean results. Again I've attached some images, all basically lit by HDR images. Does Centileo generate caustics yet or is this a thing in the future?
As usual, have a good weekend and stay safe :)
Ron
Martini 2.jpg (169.75 Kb)
Martini 1.jpg (152.46 Kb)
Martini 3.jpg (178.08 Kb)
Martini 4.jpg (107.92 Kb)
Martini 5.jpg (101.24 Kb)

Administrator  Posts: 895
Jan 16, 2021 13:23
Hi Ron! Thanks for tests and your opinion!
Using selections for decals is another way that I have just forgot to mention. Yes, it has a problem that it repeats mapped materials everywhere. In the past I made a feature where it was possible to stop repetitions but have removed this for some reason. Actually, I need to analyze things again :) Since Cinema R20 a lot more mappings inside material are allowed, not just a mapping enabled in texture tag for the whole material. So basically we can map the most of the textures of material using texture tag default projection and some textures (3D noise or scratches or whatever) can be mapped with different mappings using uvwProjection/uvwTransform. Basically, I also need to learn the best user practices of decal/label placement and probably make some boxes that can be shifted across the surfaces.
Why do you left the images noisy with few iterations? :)
CentiLeo Chat: https://t.me/centileochat

Jan 16, 2021 14:29
Btw, while you have R23 and there are nodes there! If you select CentiLeo node space then using uvwTransform node has bigger functionality than Texture tag and it recreates the functionality of native Cinema texture tag's scale/tile/offset/repeats params but it's more powerfull because it can be done per node or used as main projection method for all material textures.
uvwTransform can do the same things as native Texture tag for the same projection if you select defaul texture tag projection in uvwTransform.
On top of that there is easy possibility to use it as mask for node Material mixing. There you can use simple material mix (2 materials) or layered 10 material mixer and combine them as much as you want. To make a mask for these material blends from uvwTransform (with limited repeats) you may apply uvwTransform to just the whole white bitmap or bitmap with some own mask to get complex mask shape.

Hi Kirill
Most of the time I work through as many iterations of a pic as possible then select the one to do a full render of. These are just quick tests only :) Any other renderer would drive me round the bend in waiting to finish so as soon as an image looks 'Ok', I stop it and move on. I've recommended Centileo to my friend who's rung me to say it works. He has an old machine and all the others he's tried won't work. I think he'll be impressed. He mainly uses his to do animations and it took me over a year to move onto the Physical Renderer. This is good, but quite old now and very noisy so no chance of short render times ! I'll let you know how he gets on.
Ron

What I should have said is, it took me over a year to convince him to move onto the Physical Renderer after years of the standard renderer.

Jan 16, 2021 18:21
Thanks for recommendations! :) Your friend may freely ask any questions here on FB group
Btw, CentiLeo can work on old hardware, but actually I would note there are System Recommendations.
They are not very hard, but e.g. 2GB GPUs are still circulating and I know CentiLeo may work on them, however there are more risks for instability. Also on smaller GPUs performance is clamped not only by GPU compute power but also a little bit by complex CentiLeo architecture that was primarilly designed for slightly larger resources to deliver very good things at larger scale. Also Nvidia and Microsoft push application developers to go for more advanced features, GPUs, etc and sometimes this forces us to think less about older hardware :)
Pages: 1